Friday, January 9, 2009

To Be? Or Not To Be... American Idol?

I don't know how many people know this, but American Idol winner, David Cook, didn't originally intend to audition for the show. He went to the auditions that day in support of his brother, who ultimately was not even sent to Hollywood. I've thought about this subject often since watching parts of the show last season. I tried to place myself in his shoes. If I had gone to support a family member or close friend, not intending to audition myself, and I went on to win the entire competition, how would I feel? Here's what I came up with: First, if I were there with my family member, and I made it through and not that person, I would feel a little obligated to drop out. I would at least want to have a conversation about it. If staying in the competition was going to severely affect my relationship with the person in a negative way, I may just decide to drop out. In the grand scheme of things, it's the relationships with family and friends that carry over, right? Fame and fortune come and go. We live and die, and in the life hereafter, I would want to remember that I chose family over fame. If the conversation with my friend ended with a mutual agreement and comfort with my moving on and participating in the competition, I probably would. I might feel a little awkward winning, and I would probably always wonder if my friend secretly resented me for it. In the end, we all have to live with the choices we make. Some more important and life-altering than others. When in the heat of the moment, I hope I can make the right one. When I make the wrong one, and realize it's a mistake, I hope I can have the moral courage to try and reverse it, or at least make it right. On another note: Way to go, David! I'm glad he won. He definitely was the better showman.

1 comments:

Emily said...

I'm glad that the right David won too!